Durability is an important consideration when investing in a new roof for your home. As roofing contractors, one of the most common questions we hear is, “What type of roof lasts longest?” The good news is that most types of quality roofing will provide decades of performance, but some roofing types definitely do last longer than others.
Here is a breakdown of the typical lifespan offered by the most popular roofing materials:
- Asphalt Shingles: 15 to 30 years
- Asphalt Composite Shingles: 15 to 30 years
- Metal Roofing: 30 to 50 years
- Clay Tile: 100+ years
- Concrete Tile: 50+ years
- Slate Roofing: 100+ years
- Wood Shake or Shingle Roofing: 30 to 60 years
- Built-Up Roofing: 20 to 30 years
You might be wondering why such a wide range is suggested for some of these materials. Many factors go into determining how long your new roof will last. These include the quality of the materials and of the installation itself, as well as the amount of care and maintenance provided to the roof over time.
Some types of roofing, such as wood shingles, require regular maintenance. Others, like asphalt shingles, are virtually maintenance-free. In order to get the longest life out of your roof, be sure you understand the maintenance that it's going to need—and then keep up with it.
Other Important Considerations
Durability is important, but it’s not the only factor to consider when installing a new roof. Other things to keep in mind include:
- Cost: Budgeting is a major factor for most homeowners. Many roofing companies have financing options that make it possible to get the roofing you want.
- Style: Roofing professionals know what type of roofing will look best on your home, and they’ll help you choose a product that enhances curb appeal.
- Weight: Some homes cannot support the weight of heavier roofing materials, such as clay and slate.
- Maintenance: As mentioned above, some types of roofing require very little maintenance, while others require more upkeep.
Choose a roofing contractor that takes the time to explain all of your options, so you can make an informed decision about which roofing material is best for your home.
Contact Our Experienced Roofing Professionals
Fortified Roofing & Siding brings more than 20 years of experience to your Missouri roofing project. We use premium materials, provide expert workmanship, and deliver it all with superior customer service. Our family-owned business maintains an A+ BBB rating, and it only takes a quick look at our customer reviews to get a sense of the outstanding results you can expect. Contact us today to learn more about our services or to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.
Subscribe to Fortified Roofing and Siding's Blog