The roof is your home’s first line of defense against the elements, and it only takes a small breach to lead to significant damage. Such damage often goes undetected until it has already progressed to the point of requiring expensive repairs.
That’s why it’s important to know when it’s time to replace your roof. Some damage is easy to see, but other signs that you need a new roof are more difficult to spot. Here are some signs that it’s time for a new roof:
- Visible Damage to Shingles: Where shingles are buckled or missing altogether, that’s a sign you may need a new roof. At the very least, it's time to have a professional roofer take a look.
- Algae Growth: Algae can compromise the integrity of your roof, so if you notice an unsightly green tinge, it’s time to act.
- Granules In & Around the Downspout: When your roofing loses granules, it also loses weatherproofing and likely needs to be replaced.
- Buckling or Dips in Roof: These are signs of significant damage to the structure of the roof and should be addressed immediately.
- Unusually High Energy Bills: One potential culprit behind higher-than-usual energy bills is that your roof is no longer working to protect or insulate as it should.
Another consideration is the age of the roof. How long your roof should last depends on the type of roof. For example, asphalt roofing lasts 15 to 30 years, while slate roofing lasts much longer. Learn how long your roof should last, and start scheduling routine inspections as it approaches the end of its expected lifespan.
Should You Put Off a Needed Roof Replacement?
The answer to this question is almost always NO. If your home needs a new roof, you should have it replaced immediately. If that’s not possible, see if a roofing contractor can shore up any problem areas until you can arrange to complete the new roof installation.
An aging or damaged roof leaves your home susceptible to mold, stained walls, damage to insulation, structural damage, and other issues. Putting off the roof replacement will likely lead to the need for repairs that you'll have to pay for in addition to the cost of a new roof in future.
Fortified Roofing & Siding provides expert installation of quality roofing materials, and our simple financing options make it easier to budget for the new roof you need. Call today or fill out our online contact form to request a free consultation and an accurate cost estimate.
Subscribe to Fortified Roofing and Siding's Blog